TO THE APPLICANT:
As an emerging leader in the architectural profession, you are submitting this application form because you are interested in the opportunity to elevate your knowledge in the practice of architecture.
The AIA San Antonio Professional Practice Leadership Program created this curriculum with the intent that it will allow participants to enhance their abilities in three areas of leadership: the firm, the profession, and the community. It is the committee’s hope that each participant will use the skills obtained through the program to not only enhance their own careers, but also to impact the success and culture of their firms and the San Antonio architectural community.
The program consists of one (1) half-day orientation in January 2023, followed by nine (9) half-day sessions to be held once a month on Fridays beginning February 2023. Classes feature various local guest speakers and lectures, including quarterly sessions led by program facilitator Pete DeLisle PhD, Hon. TxA, Professor of Human Behavior, and Principal of Educet and the Leadership Design Studio.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be recognized as a graduate of AIA San Antonio's Professional Practice Leadership Program (2PLP) and will receive recognition at a local AIA San Antonio chapter event.
Please note: To encourage firm collaboration and diversity, the AIA San Antonio Professional Practice Leadership Program limits enrollment to a maximum of two participants per firm.
To qualify for this program, an applicant must be:
- employed full-time by an architectural firm in the immediate chapter area.
- on the path to architectural licensure or have recently become licensed.
- with at least 5 years of experience in the architecture or design fields.
- able to commit the time and effort necessary as outlined in this document.
The following are imperative for an applicant’s acceptance:
- Completed application is due by noon, Friday, December 9th, 2022.
- Upon receipt of application, the selection committee will promptly begin the review and selection process. Late submissions will not be considered.
- All applicants will be notified of the decision by December 16, 2022. Invoices for program fees will be sent to all selected applicants and the corresponding sponsoring firms at this time.
A tuition fee of $750 shall be paid no later than the date of the program orientation (January 21, 2023). Tuition is non-refundable one week after orientation. Late payment of the tuition forfeits your candidacy which will be offered to the first qualified alternate. The employer/sponsor is responsible for paying the tuition fee on behalf of the participant.
*Tuition for non-AIA member is $1000. Of which, the employer/sponsor will be responsible for $700, with the remaining $300 to be paid by the participant as a personal commitment to the program.* It is an expectation that non-members participating in this program would become members following graduation. In support of this, our chapter will apply a portion of the non-member fee to the local AIA San Antonio membership dues in 2023.
TUITION WAIVER REQUEST:
Waivers for tuition are available for candidates facing financial hardships, and for non-profit sponsors/firms. One of each of the following may be awarded on a case-by-case basis:
¨ Full waiver $750/$1000
¨ Partial waiver $300/$500 on the Sponsor’s behalf
¨ Partial waiver $100/$150 on the Candidate’s behalf
Candidate: if applicable, please provide enough detail and background information for the waiver request to be considered by the AIA San Antonio Board of Directors.
All dues/fees waivers are approved by the Board of Directors
Sponsoring firm: if applicable, please submit proof of non-profit status along with this completed application.
The AIA San Antonio Professional Practice Leadership Program requires a significant commitment of time and effort. In-person sessions are the preferred method for meeting however due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the status of local COVID-19 case numbers, the first few sessions of the 2023 program may be conducted remotely via conference call format. Participants will be given sufficient notice prior to the session dates listed below. Participation involves a half-day orientation in January 2023, followed by one half-day session each month for nine months beginning February 2023. Participants will also be given preliminary assignments prior to each sessions as well as information on a class project at orientation.
Participants must be able to fulfill program attendance requirements to graduate, including active engagement in each session and equitable participation in the class project.
- The date for Orientation is Friday, January 20, 2023, 1:00 - 5:00pm. Full participation at the orientation is mandatory.
- Program sessions will be held one Friday per month, 1:00pm – 5:00pm, with a half-hour break, and with the opportunity for in-person networking at the end of the session pending the rate of COVID-19 cases. Dates of sessions which are subject to change (with sufficient notice) for the 2023 year are held every third Friday of the month. If selected, can you commit to the nine Friday sessions?
- Participants who are not able to attend a session are to provide notice to the 2PLP Co- Chairs at least one week in advance. Absences will be reviewed on a case by case basis. No more than 2 classes may be missed without dismissal from the program. No Exceptions.
- Responsibilities conducted outside of normal session times will be detailed at a later date. This will primarily include a class project to entail service to the community and/or the architectural profession, which is created, led, and developed by class participants. Applicants should be prepared to spend approximately 1-2 hours per week throughout the year on project responsibilities and team contributions, with potential for additional hours as the team(s) near the project’s final presentation.
- Participants in the program are asked to join at least one AIA San Antonio network(s)/committee(s). Committee meetings provide an in-person forum for dialogue, and typically take place once a month at lunch time. Please indicate network(s)/committee(s) you are interested in: